Our List of the Top Free Keno Online Casinos Canada in 2023
How We Rate The Best Online Keno Games Casinos
When we review free bonus keno casinos, we use a proprietary rating system that's designed to give you the answer to one question: What is the best choice for you? At the same time, we also break down information about each site in a way that makes it easy to view and skim over to the parts that you care about the most. The most fitting site for you may not be the best pick for someone else, no matter how much you both love keno. As a result, we show you how to find the best option regardless of your preferences by using the following criteria.
- License Status - The first thing we typically look for is the licensing, jurisdiction for that license and the status of that license. Without this being in order, we can't really trust an online casino to take care of their players.
- Operator Reputation - Along with the licensing, we look at the reputation and history of the company running the site. This includes their time running any other brands and the types of experiences people have had with them in the past.
- Player Security & Safety - We like to see a lot of emphasis put on the security and safety of players. This includes proper encryption for data and financial information as well as game audits for fairness.
- Bonus Opportunities - Free keno games are known for having a lot of great free bonuses, so we like to point out the best of what's available so that you can get the most value possible.
- Game Selection and Variety - Not only do we want to see a lot of titles in total, but we like to see them spread across a number of different genres. This is especially applicable to having several variations of keno available for free online.
- Mobile App - A large portion of Canadian players make at least some of their bets via mobile. We make sure that both iOS and Android devices are compatible with these apps so that you can play virtually wherever you want.
- Payment Options - Having a limited number of deposit and withdrawal methods doesn't make sense in 2023, so we'll make sure you can know which options are available before you jump in.
- Fast Withdrawal Times - Along similar lines, we want you to be able to get your winnings quickly. In general, we prefer to see cash out processing times under 48 hours.
What is Online Keno?
Keno is a game that works a lot like a standard number-based lottery. You get a certain number of picks out of a range of numbers, and a pay table determines any prizes you get for guessing drawn numbers correctly. However, when you play free keno, you get to see the results of your rounds immediately instead of having to wait for designated draw times, which is a lot more enjoyable for many players.
How To Play Real Money Online Casino Keno Games
You start out by choosing which style of free keno to play because there are several to choose from. Nonetheless, they all have similar styles of play. Players are shown the overall total range of numbers (eg: 1-80 in some cases) with the knowledge that a specific number of those will be drawn at random. You get to try to guess what those numbers will be, and you're able to pull bigger and bigger prizes the more you get correct.
What's more is that you get to choose how many "picks" you make from a number of available options. For example, you may decide to pick five numbers on one round or pick 12 on the next. The more picks you have, the harder it is to hit the top prizes, but those prizes are larger overall to compensate. In short, it's a lottery style game that has a certain level of personalization available.
Getting to Know the Online Keno Game
Certain terms are used in free keno games that players may not be familiar with. If you know these, it's much easier to "speak the language," so to speak, and know what's being discussed. It also opens up certain gameplay options that you may not know about otherwise. Here are a few of those terms that will help you to get to better know what's going on.
- Keno Card - A card in this game is essentially the specific drawing for the specific set of numbers you have guessed.
- Paytable - This is a table of different payouts that you can earn for getting specific numbers of picks correct.
- Quick Pick - Many styles of the game offer up a quick pick option that will choose random numbers for you so that you don't have to choose them for yourself.
Step by Step Gameplay
Here we want to show you exactly how both free and real money keno are played. If you follow these steps one at a time, you'll get a hang for how each round goes, and you'll quickly gain an understanding of what to expect. Additionally, it'll help to avoid any of the common misconceptions players may have. We also recommend browsing through our keno rules guide if this is your first time playing the game online.
- Pick out the specific type that you want to play. If you aren't sure, then any free keno game is great to learn with so that you can get some experience with what to expect.
- Decide how many picks you want to play for on each round. For players who aren't sure or who are just starting out, we recommend a medium number around seven or eight.
- Once the number of picks are decided, choose your bet size, which is how much you wish to wager each round, if applicable.
- All that's left is for you to choose your actual numbers and place your bet. The game will show you the drawn numbers and compare them to your picks.
- From there, you'll be awarded any winnings owed to you from the pay table. You're also given the option to play again with the same picks and bet size or to switch up some of your options.
Rules, Betting, and Odds
In both paid and free online casino keno games, no matter the style or variation, you can expect certain rules to always stay the same while others can vary slightly. The main thing that can change is the total number of balls to choose from. For example, one may have 60 while another may have 80. This can change the resulting odds as well as the pay tables, but the overall play style remains the same.
Regardless of this, your odds of winning real money prizes goes down for picking up the larger prizes pretty much regardless of the situation. One exception to this rule, however, is that you can sometimes get a small payout for getting exactly zero numbers correct. This can happen in situations where you have so many picks that the odds of getting zero matches is actually lower than getting one. We recommend incorporating our keno betting strategies to greatly increase your chances of winning big in 2023.
Understanding Online Keno Payout Percentages
When discussing how often you'll find yourself winning free keno prizes, the payout percentage is usually what most people pay attention to. In short, this represents the average amount you'll be paid back of each bet you make over the long run. For example, if you wager 100 CAD on a game that offers a 98% payout rate, you'll average winning $98. However, your actual results can be higher or lower than that depending on your luck for that particular set of wagers.
Choosing Your Keno Game Tickets
Your ticket is what it's called when you have one specific set of numbers wagered on a particular game. Whether you're playing free keno or have a set amount you're risking with your wager, you can sometimes (but not always) have different types of tickets to pick from. Here we'll offer a quick look at these types of tickets and what makes them differ from each other.
- Straight Tickets - This is the most straightforward style of play, and it involves one set of numbers wagered on one drawing.
- Split Tickets - With split tickets, you're wagering more than one set of numbers on the same drawing so that you have two separate bets going simultaneously.
- Way Tickets - Perhaps the most complicated of the ticket types, this is a subtype of split tickets where you give a list of more numbers than the pick requires and want every possible combination of those numbers. For example, you may give eight numbers and want every possible combination of six of those on a pick six.
- Combination Tickets - Here you're allowed to bet two different pick numbers on the same ticket simultaneously for the same drawing using some of the same numbers.
Bet Types Explained
Much like you'll find different types of tickets in free bonus keno casinos, you'll also find different betting types at these games. For the most part, they match up with some similar concepts as the ticket styles. However, there are some differences, which you may want to know as you get started playing.
- Straight Bet - This bet just has you pick the numbers you want on the screen, bet on that drawing and go from there with no complication or fuss.
- Way Bet - On a way ticket, the betting style is different than most others. This is because you have to calculate or use a reference sheet to know how many specific wagers you're making on each possible combination of numbers. The software will typically show you this number so that you don't have to calculate it yourself.
- Quick Pick - Numbers with a quick pick are chosen at random and automatically wagered on the equivalent of a straight ticket.
Keno Online House Edge, Odds, and RTP
The RTP, or return to player percentage, is another way of saying payout percentage. It's the total amount you'll be paid out on average as a percent of the individual wagers you make. Likewise, the house edge is the opposite, which is how much the house averages taking that isn't paid out in prizes. Because of the relationship between the two values, their sum always adds up to 100%.
It's important not to confuse these numbers with the odds of winning specific payouts. These can be shown on a pay table or reference sheet so that you know the chances of picking up specific numbers of correct guesses with your pick number.
Online Casino Keno Game Variations
Lots of different real money online keno games have different stylistic variations to try to give players some variety. While we looked at some of the betting and ticket options up above, you can also change certain aspects of the rest of the rules to make things more interesting. In what follows, we'll take a look at some of these different styles and what makes them stand out.
Single Card Keno
Playing with a single card just means that one set of numbers are drawn for each betting round. This is the most common and easiest style to learn. If you're just getting started, we recommend playing this way because it gives you fewer things to have to pay attention to. However, Canadian keno fans often like to move on to something else once they have the hang of this single card style.
The most basic change you can make is moving to a multi-card keno game. With more than one card, or set of numbers in a draw, being played at a time, each one of your tickets has multiple chances to win. Your wager and the resulting prizes are adjusted to automatically account for this, so you don't have to worry about the betting getting any more complicated. In short, if you keep the same wager size in total, the volatility decreases since you have better chances of winning a prize, but those payouts are smaller on average.
Power Keno centers around one special rule addition. The last ball in a given drawing has a special property that can act like a multiplier on any wins you pick up. For example, if you would normally get a $10 payout for a certain number of wins, but one of those numbers hits on the final ball, it would be multiplied by a number like 4x to give you a $40 prize instead. This is a higher volatility style that offers some of the largest non-progressive payouts in the genre.
Super Keno works a lot like Power Keno with one difference. Instead of the last ball determining if the prize multiplier is in play, it's the first ball, but that multiplier is typically 4x as well. This means if the very first ball drawn matches one of your picks, then any wins you hit are quadrupled in that round. Many Canadian players prefer this over Power Keno because you get to know right away if you're eligible for a bigger prize, which adds to the suspense of watching the drawing.
Progressive Jackpot Keno
If you're looking for the biggest free keno wins possible, then the progressive jackpot games are where you'll want to look. The idea here is that instead of making the top prize on something like a pick 12 or pick 15 a static amount like everything else, it's a progressive instead. This jackpot starts at a set amount and then progresses over time with each real money wager placed. That process continues until someone hits the prize, and then it resets to start the process all over again.
Which is the Best Online Keno Game to Play?
The overall best style is actually a matter of taste and tolerance for volatility. If you want a low volatility, stick with the straightforward single draw style with straight tickets. However, if you want the highest volatility but the chances for the best prizes, go with progressive online keno games. Likewise, the other styles like Power Keno have volatility levels that fall between these extremes.
Real Money Online Keno Vs Free Keno Games
If you're just starting out, we can definitely recommend the best free Canadian keno casino games that will give you time to learn how the titles in this genre work. However, you'll find certain advantages and disadvantages to playing this way compared to playing for real money. Here we'll offer you some of these pros and cons so that you can decide what will fit your own expectations the best.
Pros for Real Money
- You'll often have fewer restrictions on your available bet sizes if you aren't playing on a no deposit type of promotion.
- No restrictions are placed on which titles you can play, unless it's because of bonus conditions, when playing for cash.
- Players have more freedom to put together their own wagering strategies due to more flexible bet sizing options.
Cons for Real Money
- You'll definitely have more of a risk when playing with actual money because you're placing a monetary wager.
- When playing free online keno games, you can aoften have chances to hit actual prizes without risking anything.
Popular Free Bonuses to Claim
Some of the most popular bonus types can be used when playing at paid or free online keno casinos. This is because keno is usually one of the genres allowed for the vast majority of promotions of every type. With that said, make sure to check the terms and conditions for any game restrictions just to be sure when looking at the following types of bonus deals.
No Deposit Bonus
No deposit bonuses are super common ways to play free casino keno games because you get free chances to win without having to wager anything. These deals are perfect if you just want a chance to get some payouts without any risk. However, they're also good for players who want to get a feel for playing free keno before making an actual deposit. The main thing to look out for here are any restrictions on bet sizing.
Sign Up Bonus
When you're ready to make that first deposit, you'll find that Canadian players have access to a lot of value-packed sign up or welcome bonus opportunities. These are usually the best deals available overall when starting out, and they're designed to give you a bonus on your initial deposit or your first several deposits. In most cases, this is based on a percentage, so something like a 150 percent match on a CA$ 100 deposit would get you a $150 bonus as well.
VIP & Loyalty Rewards
If you find a particular style of online keno that you like, and you want to keep playing it at the same site over the long run, then you should check out their loyalty program. All of the best keno casinos online have setups like these, sometimes called VIP programs, that reward you with points for all of your real money play. However, those points can then be cashed in and exchanged for bonuses with more favorable terms and conditions than what you would otherwise typically have available.
Another way for you to get value if you want to play at the same Canadian online casino site in the long run is by using reload bonuses. These earned their name for being awarded when you "reload" your account with a deposit. In most cases, these are match percent bonuses that give a more moderate amount of value in exchange for less strict wagering requirements. Since virtually all of them allow keno play, many players view them as simply getting extra value for games they were going to enjoy anyway.
Live Dealer Keno Games Online
A lot of players don't know that you can play online keno games with live dealers. Ezugi is a software provider that has live keno available, and that's an option for players who prefer a lot more social interaction and chatting while they wait on the next drawing. In a lottery-style title like this, having people to talk with while you wait on your numbers can add a whole new layer of fun to the entire situation. With that said, you should be aware that this style typically isn't available for free play.
Software Providers for Online Keno Casino Games in Canada
Because it's one of the most popular casino titles on a global scale, lots of different software providers have their own versions of these games. Most of them have a straight bet variation at the very least, and from there, you can get a number of different styles in some cases. Here we'll give you an overview of what each provider has to offer for this genre.
- Microgaming - Microgaming has the best slots and it also has one main style that follows the most common and popular rules. It has 80 numbers with picks as high as 15 and super lower betting limits.
- Playtech - Playtech is another provider that has one main style, but they offer it in two different presentations, one of which has a fortune telling theme. Each of them have a slightly non-standard rule set with 80 numbers but picks that only go up to 10.
- Pragmatic Play - A software provider known for catering to low bet sizes, you can go super low here. Again, you see the standard 80-number style, but the picks go up to 15. However, the pay table is atypical to a degree with payouts that are slightly more top-heavy for a higher volatility.
- 1x2gaming - This provider has five games, but four of them have the same payouts with different visuals. This is an 80-ball option with picks that go up to 15. However, their Keno Kickoff title has an atypical rule set with just 40 balls and the ability to pick up to 10 at once.
- NetEnt - The main option here is called Bonus Keno, and it's a special style you can't find anywhere else. It's a progressive jackpot game that also includes a bonus game based around finding randomized jokers behind picks.
Deposit and Withdrawal Methods
When you're ready to make a payment, Canadian players have a few different types of options to pick from. The most popular by volume are e-wallets, credit cards and debit cards. Instadebit in particular is a popular e-wallet option in Canada. Additionally, other methods like prepaid debit cards and bank wire transfers can also be used sometimes. Interac, for example, is a bank transfer service that's used for both deposits and withdrawals. We strongly recommend having a primary and secondary option for both deposits and withdrawals just to be safe in case your primary selection is down for some reason.
Free Online Casino Keno Game Winning Tips
Whether you're just starting out or if you've played for a while, you'll accumulate different tips and strategies at free online keno casinos. However, we have a few that we would like to introduce to you here that we think represents a core group of knowledge that all players should know about. This can be a good starting point for thinking about strategy and just how you want to approach your play in general.
- Pick bet sizes based on a set bankroll management strategy. This will help you to stay in the game longer without running through your deposit due to wild swings.
- Get as much value as you can from real money keno free bonuses. Since most can be played with this game, there's no reason to miss out on what's essentially extra funds.
- Look over a game's pay table before getting started playing. You can find some big differences from one game to the next, especially between different providers, and you don't want to be caught off guard.
- Some players like to stick to a consistent group of numbers for several plays in a row. While it ultimately doesn't affect your average payout rate, it does save you time in choosing different numbers on each round.
- The different "pick" amounts have different average payout rates in most games. In particular, you should consider avoiding the lower pick values since they typically have the least favorable payout percentages.
Mobile Casino Apps to Play Keno Games On The Go
Because of the speed of each drawing when playing keno on a mobile device with no download, it's perfect for taking with you on the go. This is much different than something like craps that might take a couple of minutes to resolve certain wagers sometimes. In our reviews of all of the best no download free keno sites to play with, you'll find that we put a strong emphasis on having both Android and iOS mobile casino apps available. Additionally, the screen layouts work well for both large and small screens like those on a tablet or "mini" style smart phone, respectively.
New Keno Online Casino Sites
When a new Canadian online keno casino makes it debut, we jump right into reviewing it as soon as possible. That's because we always want to make sure that players have up to date information and ratings about all of the numerous options out there. This also includes information about the bonuses available and which offer the most value. Of particular note are the offers to play free keno games for real money prizes, which is something we know a lot of players look for, especially when it comes to fresh offers they haven't seen before from newer sites.
Other Exciting Games to Play in 2023
While some players find themselves exclusively playing one type of casino game, the fact of the matter is that the majority like to try new things on a fairly regular basis. This includes table games like roulette and blackjack as well as plenty of different types of video poker. However, we particularly find that bingo and online slots are the games that free keno fans tend to jump to the most. It appears to be because they're pretty similar in format and in how quickly the rounds can happen when playing online.
What is online keno?Playing keno games online is all about trying to guess which numbers will be chosen from a set of random calls.
Are online keno games fair?Yes, these titles are audited regularly thanks to regulatory guidelines for licensing.
Is there an online keno strategy I can use?Getting the most value from bonuses and avoiding low pick amounts are two of the best strategies.
What are the odds of winning?The specific odds range a bit depending on how many numbers you're choosing in a given round.
Can I play free keno games at online casinos in Canada?Yes, we have reviewed many of the top options to show you the best no deposit cash bonuses and payout rates.
Are there any bonuses I can use to play this game at casinos online?Most online casino bonuses allow you to meet play-through requirements using keno.
Can I play games on my mobile?Absolutely. Online keno is a perfect fit for smartphones and tablets on both Android and iOS.
Is keno legal in Canada?Yes, Canada has no laws against playing keno.
What are the best online casinos to play at?Our ratings and reviews of the best options will help you to pick out which site is the most suitable for you.
Can I win progressive jackpots online?Some options have progressive jackpots available for the top wins.