Best Ontario Online Sports Betting Sites For 2023
- 1 888 CasinoBest Online Sportsbook for Ontario Enthusiasts 19+ T&C's Apply. Please play responsibly.
Legal Sports Betting in Ontario Launched in April 2022
As of 27 August 2021, sports betting in Ontario was live and completely legal. However, it was limited to the government-run online sportsbook known as Proline+. Thankfully, this all changed when private betting sites were given the green light to launch their products and services in Ontario on 4 April 2022. Prior to the passage of The Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act, also known as Bill C-218, single-game betting was only permitted on horse racing in Canada. To place legal wagers on any other sport, Ontario's gambling laws required players to place a parlay wager containing a minimum of two events.
Latest Updates and News
As we move into 2023 it's important to keep abreast of the effect that the introduction of legal sports betting has had. To date, we have seen 29 online sportsbooks receiving licenses and this includes BetMGM, Caesars, theScore, DraftKings, and FanDuel. There are also a number of provincially run casinos that have betting kiosks. Caesars Windsor is however the only establishment that provides a full sportsbook so far. To help you understand more about what has happened since April 2022, we have listed below the main news updates below.
- March 2, 2023 - Dave Forestell, chairperson of iGaming Ontario has stated that he expects more legal operators to enter the province during the year and that he will also be focusing on cracking down on illegal operators in order to further help the Ontario market.
- February 27, 2023 - Two new sportsbooks have entered the market. Fitzdares is a UK brand and Swedish brand Betsafe also launched.
- February 13, 2023 - Figures for the fiscal quarter ending December 31 were released and these showed that hte total wagers placed in the province were over $11.5 billion which is a 91% increase on the previous quarter.
- January 26, 2023 - The third fiscal quarter showed a 71% increase in total gaming revenue. This includes sports betting, online casinos, and online poker. The revenue was $437 million in the third quarter compared to $267 million in the second quarter.
- January 19, 2023 - In December the AGCO removed UFC from the list of approved sports but it has now been reintroduced and bettors can once again place their wagers on UFC events.
- January 11, 2023 - Caeasars Sportsbook at Caesars Windsor is the first full-service retail sportsbook opened to the public.
- December 28, 2022 - The situation around betting on UFC events is still being monitored after another fighter, Jeff Molina, received a suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
- December 20, 2022 - Bet99 moved into the regulated market and partnered with the National Hockey League. The partnership includes a free-to-play game.
Ontario Sports Betting Regulation & Legislation
Ontario already enjoys single-game betting through Proline+, the government-run online sportsbook since 27 August 2021. However, the biggest news that is sure to have a significant impact for players is the launch of private sportsbook sites that will further expand sports betting in the province. All the big names are set to get a piece of the action, including PointsBet, BetMGM, Caesars, FanDuel, and DraftKings who will launch their sites in early April. As the most densely-populated province in Canada, with almost 15 million residents, there's no other place in the country that will produce a larger revenue stream. It's estimated that online sports betting in Ontario can easily generate up to $570 million in revenue in 2022 alone.
The Canadian Criminal Code was amended by Bill C-218, allowing single-game betting on all sports. The bill was also backed with support from all major sports leagues, including the CFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, and NHL who have franchises playing in Canada and signed a document that was sent to government officials stating their support for Bill C-218. This finally ended the OLG Monopoly on online gambling and paved the way for approximately 30 online sportsbooks sites to legally enter the market in April 2022. There is an unlimited number of licenses made available by the government, giving sportsbook sites across the globe the opportunity to provide their products and services to players in Ontario.
Timeline of the Road to Legalization in Ontario
Legal online sports betting in Ontario arrived on 27 August 2021 and Proline+ was the first online sportsbook to burst onto the scene with many more legal and private sportsbook sites to arrive in 2022. Apart from providing additional online sites to Ontario players, regulators are also exploring options for retail sportsbook destinations. With all the developments that have taken place in the last few years, we decided to include a detailed timeline from the moment Bill-218 was introduced on 25 February 2020.
- 25 February 2020 Kevin Waugh, the Saskatoon, Saskatchewan MP, introduces Bill C-218 to amend the criminal code in Canada and legalize single-game betting in the country.
- 5 November 2020 The Ontario government announces that the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) will now manage and control the province's upcoming online gaming market.
- 22 April 2021 Bill C-218 receives all-party support and passes in the House of Commons.
- 22 June 2021 Bill C-218 is approved by The Senate with a 57-20 vote. Bill now awaits royal ascent to become law.
- 29 June 2021 The Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act (Bill C-218) receives royal ascent, officially legalizing single-game betting in Canada.
- 6 July 2021 The Ontario government announces that the open and competitive iGaming market of the province will be managed by IGO, a newly developed subsidiary of AGCO.
- 28 July 2021 AGCO publishes a draft for regulatory standards when it comes to internet gaming, including regulations and sports wagering rules.
- 12 August 2021 David Lametti, the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, announces that Bill C-218 will be implemented on 27 August 2021. The OLG reveals that Proline+ is launching the same day and will provide single-game betting to Ontario players.
- 27 August 2021 OLG establishes Proline+, giving Ontarians the ability to place wagers on single events online.
- 9 September 2021 AGCO finalizes and publishes its regulatory standards for the iGaming market in Ontario.
- 14 October 2021 Rush Street Interactive launches CASINO4FUN, a new free-to-play sportsbook and casino. Rush Street Interactive is also expected to go live with real money betting in Ontario in the next few months under the BetRivers brand.
- 2 November 2021 Tom Reeg, the CEO of Caesars Entertainment, shares his belief during a Q3 earning call that Caesars will be well-positioned to launch in Ontario, citing its existing player base and the history of Caesars Windsor as competitive advantages.
- 10 November 2021 Thomas Winter, the president of Golden Nugget, mentions Ontario during the third-quarter financial results and the company's expansion plans for 2022.
- 15 November 2021 The Internet Gaming Go-Live Compliance Guide is released by AGCO and includes the importance of responsible gambling as well as an emphasis on the requirements of operators with several brands to terminate all grey market activity in the province.
- 26 November 2021 OLG launches its very-first Black Friday deals on Proline+, the government-run online sportsbook.
- 30 November 2021 Intema Solutions Inc. makes an announcement that it will apply to become a licensed sportsbook and online gaming operator in Ontario.
- 1 December 2021 Concerns are expressed by Ontario's auditor general regarding the future of the iGaming market in the province and urges Ontario to take necessary action to ensure Criminal Code compliance. Bonnie Lysyk recognizes IGO's supposed role in managing and controlling third-party operations as a section that could cause legal risk in the future.
- 20 December 2021 theScore Bet obtains Gaming Laboratories International GLI-33 certification for iGaming and mobile sports betting in Ontario. The operator is estimated to launch in early 2022.
- 10 January 2022 PointsBet Canada makes an announcement that it's teaming up with the NHL Alumni Association.
- 11 January 2022 NorthStar Gaming confirms partnership with Playtech. The gaming company plans to use the IMS platform from Playtech to launch its sports betting products and services in Ontario.
- 18 January 2022 Ontario is behind schedule with the earliest launch expected to be in March 2022. The province could also be hit with another speed bump as Great Canadian Gaming, considered the largest land-based casino operator in the province, released a report that states the new private market will reduce profits, leading to hundreds of job losses. Even though the report is too late to change anything, it could still delay the launch in Ontario until after the upcoming elections. In a press release, MaximBet confirms that it's interested in launching in Ontario and Canada in 2022.
- 19 January 2022 BetMGM makes an announcement that it will launch its online casino and sportsbook in Ontario in 2022. Bwin also plans to enter the Canadian sports betting market.
- 28 January 2022 IGO (iGaming Ontario) announces that the new iGaming market will launch on 4 April 2022 and those who have registered with AGCO and implemented an operating agreement will be allowed to go live.
- 1 February 2022 OLG makes an announcement that Proline is offering single-game wagers and that the new Bet Builder App will give players the ability to add bets to their current bet slip via mobile before picks are confirmed with retailers. New markets, events, and sports are also made available to those using Proline. NorthStar Gaming confirms that it's sportsbook will be powered by Kambi.
- 3 February 2022 theScore Bet and PointsBet announce that the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has accepted their registration as online sports betting operators in the province, and both are set to launch on 4 April 2022.
- 10 February 2022 Betsson Group is gearing up to launch its Betsafe sportsbook in Ontario later this year.
- 15 February 2022 OLG reveals a significant increase in newly registered players on Proline+ ahead of Super Bowl 56. However, financials are not released after the Big Game.
- 18 February 2022 DraftKings confirms that an Ontario launch is very likely once the province opens its virtual doors to private operators on 4 April 2022.
- 23 February 2022 Amazon Web Services (AWS) reveals partnership with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE). The partnership will provide a 'Game within the Game' digital experience, giving players the opportunity to enjoy 'on-demand sports betting'.
- 3 March 2022 888 Holdings confirms approval of iGaming license from the AGCO. The company will be among the first to launch an online casino and sportsbook in Ontario on 4 April 2022.
- 9 March 2022 Proline+ becomes the first betting partner of the NHL in Canada as OLG strikes a deal with the National Hockey League and Rush Street Interactive becomes the seventh online operator to receive regulatory approval, allowing the company's BetRivers brand to launch.
- 10 March 2022Rush Street Interactive confirms its plans to establish it's BetRivers.ca brand on 4 April 2022.
- 11 March 2022FanDuel gains regulatory approval as the eleventh online sportsbook registered.
Top Benefits These New Legal Options Present to Canada
The ability to legally place a wager on who will win the PGA Masters or a fantastic futures bet on the Toronto Maple Leafs to win the Stanley Cup will soon be a blessing for Ontario bettors who no longer need to visit unregulated sportsbook sites to place illegal wagers. There are loads of incredible benefits when new legal sportsbook sites become available. Below, we included some of the top perks you can look forward to.
- More provincial revenues
- Better prices in a more competitive market
- Larger selection of sports to bet on
- The ability to place bets on single events
- More betting markets on both desktop and mobile devices
- Trusted sportsbooks with a gambling license to operate in Canada
- Save and secure payment options for players
- Better bonuses and bigger promotional offers
- Live streaming events and in-play betting opportunities
- More entertainment value and fun overall
New Online Sportsbooks to (Re)Enter the Ontario Market in 2023
Online sports betting fans in Ontario should prepare for a flood of legal sportsbook sites from April 2022 as there are loads of interest to obtain a gambling license from both domestic companies and online operators in the United States. If you want to learn more about the best sites and brands heading to Ontario, you've come to the right place! Below, we included a list of top legal sportsbook sites that will provide their online sportsbooks and betting apps to the Heartland Province.
BetMGM is set to become a market leader, so it goes without saying that Canada is on the company's do-to list. The popular sportsbook has already made significant strides in multiple legal states across the United States and has hired Wayne Gretzky, a renowned Canadian icon, as its pitchman.
As a growing regional brand in the United States, BetRivers is looking to expand its reach north of the border. It's already affiliated with land-based Rivers casinos in New York, Pennsylvania, and Chicago. During the 2022 Winter Olympics, the company launched a strong marketing campaign on Canadian broadcast channels to attract new customers before its official launch date.
As a grey market company from Europe, Unibet is widely expected to join the regulated market in Ontario. The Kindred Group, operating Unibet sportsbook, has hired Amanda Brewer to act as its country manager who has been a long-time supporter of a regulated market.
When it comes to overall volume, it should come as no surprise that FanDuel is the current leader in the United States. The company is certainly going to throw its hat in the ring when it comes to the Ontario sports betting market and hired Dale Hooper to become its general manager. Hooper has previously worked at PepsiCo Canada, Rogers Communications, and Deloitte Canada.
With an enormous presence in the United States and an eye on expanding the company even further, DraftKings is set to have a similar impact in Ontario. The company has a partnership deal with the NHL to bring data-driven, betting-focused information to NHL broadcasts in the United States.
The Australian-based company launched its products and services in the United States in January 2019 and has been actively preparing to expand in Canada. The company has announced partnerships with various entitles in the market and key hires in its business ventures, including Alpine Canada and Trailer Park Boys. PointsBet was officially registered on 3 February 2022 with the AGCO.
- Caesars Sportsbook
Sports bettors might already be familiar with the Caesars brand thanks to the legendary Caesars Windsor Hotel & Casino Resort situated within the province. As a Canadian Gaming Association member, entry into the Ontario market is very likely for Caesars Sportsbook and will only be a matter of time before players can enjoy an excellent sports wagering experience.
- theScore Bet
Penn National Gaming acquired theScore in October 2021 with plans to become a Canadian-facing brand in 2022. The company is already a sports television giant in Canada and is officially licensed with the AGCO. Based in Toronto, the homegrown talent has already joined the sports betting market in the U.S and will target Ontario with one of the most innovative sports wagering experiences for players in the province.
Bet365 is currently seen as a wild card as it's operating without a license in Canada. However, the industry giant is looking for a legal entry into the sports market and will undoubtedly provide one of the smoothest and most informative sportsbooks in the province when it obtains a gambling license in 2022.
PlayOLG Versus Bet365 - How Ontario's Provincial Betting Site Matches Up
PlayOLG has been providing its products and services since 2015 and is regulated by AGCO and backed by the government. It's compatible with most mobile devices, offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface, and provides generous promotions and bonuses to enjoy on more than 200 top games. Players can also purchase lottery tickets and place wagers on a variety of sports under one virtual roof. However, when compared to an offshore sportsbook site like Bet365, you'll immediately notice various drawbacks that PlayOLG simply doesn't offer. For instance, PlayOLG has fewer banking methods and limited game providers when compared to an industry giant like Bet365. The European-based gambling site offers a bigger selection of games, better promotions and bonuses, supports more software providers, and comes with a multitude of additional features and services to further enhance your online gaming experience.
Ontario Vs Canada - How this Province Measures Up To The Rest
Ontario is the most populous province in Canada with approximately 15 million residents and is home to some of the most amateur and professional sports organizations in the country. The Heartland province also has the most potential sports bettors, making it easy to see why Ontario was the first province to open its doors to legal private sportsbook sites from around the world. All other provinces will carefully watch the developments in this market to see if the model can work for them as well.
Mobile Sports Betting Apps For Ontario
There's no denying that mobile devices have become a huge part of our lives. Advancements in technology is inevitable and we have no choice but to embrace it. However, can we really do just about anything on a mobile device, even when it comes to real money betting? Well, when you look at the recent statistics, it certainly seems that way. More and more players are using their tablets and smartphones to place wagers on sports events. In all honesty, we are not surprised by this, given how accessible mobile gambling has become. It's been reported that around 45% of sports wagering occurs online and nearly 80% of internet users are accessing sportsbook sites from mobile devices.
The primary reason why the Ontario online sports betting market is more favourable on mobile devices is due to the convenience it offers, the easy to use interfaces, and the security features to provide a safer and more secure betting experience. With the legalization of single-game sports wagering in Canada, along with multiple legal sportsbook sites launching in 2022, we are constantly reviewing and rating mobile online casinos and sportsbooks to ensure we only provide the best for our readers. The mobile apps will come equipped with innovative features and services, exclusive promotional offers, accessibility on Android and iOS devices, and loads of freedom in terms of payment options, betting markets, sports, and more. We will provide comprehensive reviews on the best mobile sports betting apps in Ontario, giving you everything you need to make an informed decision before signing up for a new account in 2023.
Ontario's Top Online Sports Betting and Casino Bonuses
With the rollout of legal online gambling and sports betting in Ontario, players will be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing their first sportsbook. Every platform will provide something unique, especially when it comes to mobile betting apps, betting markets, and user-interfaces. However, the deciding factor that will play a significant role for newly registered customers is the promotions and bonuses offered by legal sportsbook sites. Every casino and online sports betting site will look to offer captivating promotional offers to attract new customers to their sites. Below, we included some of the top promotions and bonuses you can claim at online casinos and sports betting sites in Ontario for 2023.
- Risk-Free Bets: These are some of the most popular sportsbook promotions you can claim as a player in Ontario. You essentially start your relationship in a legal online sports betting site with a free bet. If your first bet is successful, you'll receive your winnings. However, if you lose your first bet, you'll receive a refund of your wager as a free bet. The maximum bonus can be very generous when it comes to risk-free bets where the best legal online gambling sites will usually offer up to $1,000.
- First Deposit Bonuses: One of the first promotional offers you'll come across while exploring the best legal online sports sites in Ontario is the welcome bonus or first deposit bonus. The top sites will usually match your initial deposit with a 100% bonus, giving you double the bankroll to not only prolong your betting experience but to also increase your chances of winning. In most cases, you can look forward to a boost of up to $1,000 in bonuses on your first deposit.
- No Deposit Cash/Chips: A no deposit cash or free chip offer is a precious beast that you'll rarely find in the sports wagering jungle. It carries a great deal of risk to online sportsbooks as players could potentially make a successful bet and withdraw their winnings without having to make a real money deposit. You are more likely to find no deposit bonuses in the casino section where you'll usually be presented with a $10 no deposit bonus to test the waters. It's a great way to evaluate every aspect of a new site before playing with your own hard-earned money.
- Reload Bonuses: Legal betting sites cater to more than just newly registered customers. The best online sportsbooks are well-aware of the fact that ongoing loyalty from existing players also need to be rewarded - and the best way of achieving this is through reload bonuses. You will often find a 50% reload bonus on your next deposit and these exclusive promotions can be claimed daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Referral Bonuses: To further expand their player base, legal online sports betting sites will often feature referral bonuses, allowing you to invite your friends while benefitting from a bonus yourself. Your friends simply need to signup, make a deposit, and place a wager before you'll be rewarded with a referral bonus. You can often invite up to 10 friends, each providing an additional bonus to your account.
- Seasonal Promotions: When sports enthusiasts hear the word 'season', they don't think of winter, fall, summer, or autumn. Instead, they think of NFL betting, as well as MLB, NBA, NHL betting and more. Legal betting sites will often present players with betting bonuses when the countdown to new seasons get underway. This gives you the opportunity to make a futures bet on the next Super Bowl winner with better odds before the season starts or on the World Series prior to the first pitch of the year.
- Sports-Specific Bonuses: The best way to attract new customers is through major sports events. For instance, the Super Bowl is considered the most wagered-on sports event in the sporting calendar and players will often find sports-specific promotions and bonuses with better odds, bigger betting markets, and more. These promotions can also include free bets or reload bonuses when a big game is taking place, such as the Champions League, World Series, Stanley Cup, or NBA Finals.
- Free Casino Bonuses: The legal betting sites will undoubtedly also feature a top Ontario online casino platform under one virtual roof. This will give Ontarians the opportunity to claim a wide variety of casino bonuses as well, including welcome packages, cashback promotions, reload bonuses, no deposit bonuses, exclusive free spins on new slots, and more. These promotional offers can then be used to explore slots, table games, video poker, and card games to keep you entertained for hours on end.
- Reduced Juice Wagers: The vig, or juice, is a margin that will be applied to every betting market, ensuring the operator makes a profit. However, when it comes to reduced juice wagers, you'll notice that a couple of percentage points will be shaved off to provide bigger bonus winnings to bettors. For instance, on most NFL games, the standard points spread that is applied to each side is -110. When reduced juice wagers are available, the online sportsbook could offer -105, leading to a larger win if you covered the spread.
- Parlay Insurance: It can be frustrating when you make a parlay wager with multiple bets only to find out that one leg has let you down, leaving you empty-handed. This is where parlay insurance comes into play, allowing you to receive a consolation prize when you lose a parlay. In most cases, you should receive your original stake back as a free bet while playing at the best legal online sports betting sites in Ontario, giving you a second chance without making another deposit.
- Odds Boosts: These are some of the best bonuses you can claim at legal online sports betting sites as an Ontario player. Available to both new and existing players, you can essentially benefit from bigger odds on a match or game. For instance, when the odds for a win is presented as +185 during an NFL match, you might see online sportsbooks boost the odds to +230, allowing you to claim extra winnings when you've made the correct selection.
- Loyalty Rewards: Most of the legal sports betting sites heading to Ontario will offer loyalty rewards from the moment you register a new account. The more you bet, the higher you'll climb on the loyalty ladder, unlocking additional perks and benefits to further enrich your online betting experience. This will usually include higher deposit and withdrawal limits, dedicated account managers, tailor-made promotions and bonuses, merchandise, exclusive vacations, and more.
Blacklisted Sportsbook Sites To Avoid in 2023
Even though legal online sportsbook sites are heading to Ontario in April 2022, there are several rogue operators that will attempt to infiltrate the market and try and steal your money. Fraudulent and blacklisted sportsbook sites are everywhere, and we do everything in our power to ensure our loyal readers avoid these sites at all cost. When we are not completely satisfied with the products and services offered by an online sportsbook, it's immediately added to our blacklist. Some of the main reasons why we add sportsbooks to our blacklist include taking too long to pay out winnings, cheating players out of their money, offering rigged odds, and operating without a gambling license. Below, we added a list of blacklisted sportsbook sites for 2023 that you'll need to avoid while searching for sportsbook sites in Ontario.
Best Sports To Bet On - Canada's Most Popular
With the legalization of single-event online sports betting in Ontario, players can finally profit from their sports knowledge in an unprecedented way. Online sports wagering enthusiasts can reduce their risk while making single-game wagers on some of the most renowned sports leagues in the world, including hockey, football, basketball, baseball, eSports, horse racing and more. There are currently five professional sports teams located in Ontario and each of them will undoubtedly draw loads of betting attention going forward. Below, you'll find information on the best sports you can bet on as well as the sports teams to keep an eye on while placing real money bets online.
- NFL Football
Football is an immensely popular sport throughout Ontario and the rest of Canada, drawing millions of viewers and bets every year. The Canadian Football League is home to three Ontario-based teams, including the Toronto Argonauts, Ottawa Red Blacks, and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. There's also loads of enthusiasm when it comes to the National Football League and the Super Bowl with all eyes on the Buffalo Bills. Due to the team's recent turnaround, the Buffalo Bills can easily become the most-heavily wagered team in Ontario now that single-game betting is legal.
- NHL Hockey
It should come as no surprise that Ontario is home to two National Hockey League franchises. The country's obsession with ice hockey runs deep, especially Ontario's ties with their two NHL sports teams. The Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs should see loads of single-game betting action when private online sportsbooks make their way to the province in April 2022. As the national sport in Canada, most players will place their first bets on hockey. Considered a money-line sport, hockey is one of the most profitable to bet on, especially when you can place wagers on the NHL, KHL, and AHL games.
- NBA Basketball
Even though it hasn't overtaken ice hockey as the national sport in Canada, basketball is considered the fastest-growing sport in the last two decades. The Toronto Raptors represent Canada in the National Basketball Association and managed to win the NBA Championship in 2019. Basketball bettors will have the opportunity to bet on the NBA or they can use their knowledge to place a bet on other international basketball leagues, EuroLeague basketball, or on NCAA college basketball.
- MLB Baseball
During the summer months, most sports will enjoy their off-seasons, giving the spotlight to baseball betting. Major League Baseball is considered one of the most popular sports to wager on during the summer and there is no better team in Canada than the Toronto Blue Jays. Apart from placing an assortment of bets on MLB's Toronto Blue Jays, Bettors can also look forward to placing bets on international baseball leagues, such as the KBO, along with college baseball and minor league baseball.
- Horse Racing
Horse racing can be traced back to ancient Greek Olympics and is considered one of the most simple, fun, and accessible sports to wager on in Ontario. There are plenty of variations when it comes to horse racing and even more betting markets to keep you entertained. Some of the best horse racing action in Canada takes place on a variety of horse racing tracks, including Fort Erie Race Track, Prince of Wales Stakes, Woodbine Racetrack, and Queen's Plate. Ontario's best legal online sports betting sites are bound to offer horse racing action from across the globe, giving you ample opportunities to win big on desktop and mobile devices.
When it comes to the Canadian esports market, Ontario players will have plenty of opportunities to win big while placing bets on popular esports games like League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Valorant, Call of Duty, and Rocket League to mention but a few. The new legal betting sites will also offer various markets, such as outright betting, pre-match betting, and in-play betting. One of the top legal online sports betting sites to enter Ontario in 2022 is Betway, a leader when it comes to esports wagering.
- Other Sports and Events
Apart from providing betting opportunities on all major sports leagues, the best Ontario sites will also provide plenty of other events to keep you glued to your screen. This will include tennis, boxing, MMA, golf, and soccer along with novelty betting on events like politics, such as the U.S election, and award ceremonies like the Oscars.
Single Events Betting And What it Means
The legalization of single-event online sports betting in Ontario means that players can bet on a single NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB game. You no longer need to place a bet on parlays while being fully aware of the fact that online sportsbooks reduce the chances of winning. Thanks to Bill C-218, you can now place a bet on single games, allowing you to predict the outcome more strategically. Focusing on a single game will also reduce the time you previously spent on research before making your predictions. Another fantastic benefit of single-game betting is that you are free to wager on several matches separately. So, if there is a match between the Calgary Flames and the Toronto Maple Leafs as well as a match between the Canucks and the Red Wings, you can place a bet on a single match with one online sportsbook, while placing a separate bet on another sportsbook on the second game.
Parlay vs Single Event Ontario Sports Betting Online
During Canada's era of parlay betting, sports enthusiasts had two options at their disposal. You could either place a bet on a provincial sportsbook while adhering to the betting rules of parlays or you could register with an offshore sportsbook and enjoy single-game wagering. Parlay betting is far more difficult when compared to single-game betting. With parlay betting, you need to make a minimum of two selections and win both events before you receive a payout. Even though the odds on parlays seem attractive, it's extremely difficult to get both selections right all the time.
With single-game betting, your experience will be a lot easier, allowing you to keep your budget under control. You can also recover from smaller losses far easier when compared to parlay betting. Even though the payouts are not as attractive as parlay betting, the risks involved with single-event bets are much smaller too. Single-event betting also gives you the ability to create betting strategies while using a wider selection of sportsbooks to develop a more sustainable bankroll management plan. In addition, single-event betting opens up all bet types to players, ranging from prop bets and moneylines to points spreads and total wagers.
Other Advanced Types of Betting Options
When parlay betting was the only option for sports fans, wagers were restricted to selecting a minimum of two events to potentially make a profit. OLG offered its own online sportsbook called Proline+, giving players the ability to choose between point spreads, pro-picks props, and pro-picks pools. Each of these are essentially odds-based parlay bets that consists of three to six events. Players have to make a minimum bet of $2.00 and are unable to bet more than $100.00 per ticket. However, since the introduction of single-game betting, players have a brand-new world to explore when it comes to placing bets on sports. Some of the most popular betting markets that have been introduced in Ontario include moneylines, in-play betting, futures, outrights, and pre-match betting.
How to Get Started in Ontario
Now that you have a better understanding of single-game sports betting and the benefits it will bring to Ontario online sports betting enthusiasts, there's only one thing left to do: register an account at a legal online sports betting site and place a wager on upcoming sports. Below, we included a step-by-step guide on how you can get started as an Ontario player and what will be required before you can start placing bets in 2023.
- Choose Your Sportsbook: Browse through our list of top legal online sports betting sites and choose one that best suits your needs.
- Signup For an Account: Once you've located an online sportsbook, simply register a new account on desktop or mobile. It will only take a minute or two to get registered.
- Claim Your Bonus: With your registered account, visit the promotions section to see what's on offer. You should be entitled to a first deposit bonus or even a no deposit bonus, depending on where you signup.
- Deposit Funds: Once you've browsed through the promotions section, head over to the cashier section to register your preferred payment method and allocate funds to your account.
- Check The Odds: Make sure to compare the odds on your favorite sports events with different online sports betting sites to get the best deal for your money.
- Choose Your Bet Type: With single-game sports betting now legal, you'll have the freedom to choose from a wide range of bet types, including moneylines, pre-match betting, in-play betting, and more.
- Withdraw Your Winnings: Once you've accumulated winnings on your account, head back to the cashier section and request a withdrawal.
FAQs About Sports Betting in Ontario
With the rollout of legal online sports betting, players are bound to have questions when it comes to choosing a sportsbook, promotional offer, or betting market. It's for this reason why we included an FAQ section where we answered some of the most popular questions.
What is the best sports betting bonus for Ontario?Players will be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing promotions and bonuses at legal sportsbook sites from April 2022. Some of the best promotions and bonuses you can claim will include free bets, welcome packages, reload bonuses, cashback deals, loyalty programs, and more. Make sure to compare promotional offers between all legal sites to find the best deal for your deposit.
Is live betting available in Ontario?When legal sportsbook sites enter the market in April 2022, there will be loads of additional features and services that players can take advantage of to further enhance their online betting experience on both desktop and mobile devices. One of the most anticipated features is the inclusion of live betting. This will give players the ability to place bets while the game or match is underway. The odds will be updated in real-time and will provide loads of additional betting opportunities too.
Is Ontario sports betting legal?Yes. It was legalized on 27 August 2021 where Proline+ started offering single-game wagering on a variety of sports events on the same day. Private sportsbook sites have been entering the market since April 2022, giving players the opportunity to register and place bets with legal sportsbooks, such as Bet365. DraftKings, BetMGM, PointsBet, Caesars Sportsbook, and more.
Are there mobile sportsbook and betting apps in Ontario?Yes. Apart from providing betting on your desktop, you will also have the freedom to place bets on mobile devices, including iOS and Android devices. You have the option to either place bets from a mobile web browser or through a dedicated mobile app that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or Apple's App Store. You'll have the ability to claim promotions and bonuses, place bets on a wide range of sports, and use safe and secure payment options for all your deposit and withdrawal needs while on the move.
Will Ontario online casinos offer sports betting?Yes. Many of the new sites also come equipped with an online casino where you can enjoy video slots, table games, live dealer titles, video poker and more. You also have access to exclusive online casino promotions and bonuses along with the flexibility to enjoy online gambling on desktop and mobile for added convenience.