If you have questions about online casinos or how to play your favorite casino games online, we have all the answers for you. Are you looking to learn about the techniques to choosing a reliable casino or how to claim the right casino bonus? Perhaps you want to offer assistance to someone who has a gambling addiction. No matter what you're looking for, we hope you'll find it in the questions listed below.
There is no shortage of questions about online casinos which is why we've created this dedicated page where we answer the most frequently asked questions. New topics and questions are added on a regular basis as they are presented to our team. On this page you'll find common questions about casino games, bonuses and promotions, deposits and withdrawals, security, technology, and more.
Beginners Guide to Online Casinos
- How old do you have to be to play at online casinos in Canada? The minimum age is dependent on the province you live in and will be either 18 or 19. Residents in British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, NW Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Vancouver, and Yukon need to be 19 years and older whereas those residing in Alberta, Manitoba, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, and Quebec can legally gamble at 18.
- How do I register at an online casino? To create an account, all you have to do is visit the casino and click on the registration/signup button. This can be found on the home page. You will be required to provide some basic information including your name and email address. Once you've registered, you can login and associate a deposit method with your account, make your first deposit, and start playing the games.
- How do I bet on online casino games? Firstly, you'll have to be of legal age to gamble (18 or 19) if you want to bet real money at any online casino. You will then create your account and you're your first deposit. If a signup bonus is being offered you will have the bonus funds added to your account. From here all you have to do is look at the game categories and choose the game you want to play.
- When can I withdraw my winnings from casino bonuses? To withdraw your winnings you first have to meet the wagering requirements attached to the bonus. Some casinos will impose time limits on clearing the wagering requirement, while other will require you to make a number of real money deposits before you can cashout. It is important that you check the bonus terms and wagering requirements before claiming any casino bonus so you know exactly what is expected and ensure you can clear the playthrough without any difficulty.
- Are there limits on how much I can withdraw? Yes. All online casinos in 2023 have withdrawal limits in place. These can be daily, weekly, or monthly limits and they state the amount of money you can withdraw from your account. There are higher withdrawal limits available for players via loyalty programs and VIP rewards.
- What withdrawal methods can I use in Canada? Withdrawal methods can vary from one casino to another, but there are general payment methods that are accepted across the board. These include credit and debit cards (Visa, Mastercard), e-wallets (Instadebit, Skrill, PayPal), pre-paid vouchers (Paysafecard), and wire transfers. It should be noted that not all payment methods can be used for withdrawals and in addition to this, some casinos will require you to use the same payment method for your deposits and withdrawals. We recommend you check the withdrawal methods available before you make your first deposit so you can choose the option that will work best for you.
Games, Requirements, and RNGs
- What games can I play at online casinos? You'll find all the games offered at land-based casinos as well as some additional options. These include slots, blackjack, roulette, video poker, baccarat, craps, bingo, keno, and more. All these games offer enjoyment, entertainment, and the chance to win real money. Players can also choose to play live dealer games and many of the top brands also allow you to try the games for free using the fun play/demo mode. You can also try several types of casino games for free on our free games page.
- What are progressive jackpots and how do they work? Progressive jackpots are casino games that are linked across a specific software providers network. They offer huge jackpots that can range from a few hundred thousand up to several million dollars. A small percentage of every bet placed is added to the jackpot and it continues to grow until it is won. To activate the progressive jackpot you may be required to bet the maximum amount per spin on slots so be sure to review this if you are looking to bet on progressives.
- What is the RTP? RTP stands for Return to Player and it is a percentage that shows you the average amount of winnings you can expect to receive over a period of time. The higher the RTP percentage the more chances you have of winning. We recommend choosing games that have a 95% or higher RTP. All licensed online casinos in Canada are required to publish their payout percentages in order to maintain their license and the RNGs are audited by independent companies to ensure they are fair.
- How can I improve my chances of winning? To improve your chances of winning, it is important to choose the right casino games. We offer expert tips and strategies on our game pages. There are betting strategies that you can apply when playing table games like roulette and blackjack and these can lower the house edge. If you are playing slots these are essentially a game of chance and the only way to increase your chances of winning is to opt for games with higher RTPs.
- Are there betting limits on casino games? Yes. You will find minimum and maximum betting limits at every casino online in Canada. The limits can vary from site to site as well as from game to game. By imposing betting limits operators can protect themselves from huge losses as well as limiting the amount a player can lose. Betting limits on slots can vary from $0.01 up to $5 and table games can range from $0.50 up to $20k when playing with live dealers.
- What are live dealer games? Live dealer games are a great way to experience the thrill of a land-based casino whilst playing online. These games are streamed in real time and use professional dealers that you can interact and chat with. The action takes place in actual casinos or from dedicated live studios and you can play real money roulette, blackjack, baccarat, poker, slots, and even game shows on your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- What does RNG refer to? RNG stands for Random Number Generator and it is the software that is used in online casino games to ensure all outcomes are random. The technology ensures that the game results are fair every time. Most operators have their RNGs audited and tested to guarantee fair gaming and you'll see them certified fair by companies like eCOGRA and TST.
Bonuses, Rewards, and Loyalty Programs
- What is a welcome bonus? A welcome bonus is a special offer given to new players by online casinos to encourage you to register. It is usually a percentage match bonus given on your first deposit that will double or triple your bankroll. Welcome bonuses can also include free spins for popular slots. There are different signup bonuses available including welcome packages and you can find out more about these on our bonus pages.
- What is a no deposit bonus? A no deposit bonus is exactly what it sounds like. It is an incentive offered to new players at casinos where they are given free spins or free cash that they can use to play real money games when they create a new account. It is generally much lower than a deposit bonus and wagering requirements can be quite high, but if you are looking to play free games and have the chance to win real money, they are great. Be sure to check out our no deposit bonus page for the latest offers and to learn more.
- What are loyalty/VIP programs? These are special programs that real money players are enrolled in when they create a casino account. They reward players and give them special bonuses and promotions based on their gameplay and points status. They are often multi-level programs that offer higher rewards as you climb up the levels. You earn points on your real money bets and you can exchange your loyalty points for additional cash for even more free games. Players start at the lowest level usually Bronze and then climb the ranks up to the highest level where they get lucrative bonuses and often higher wagering and withdrawal limits.
- What rewards can I expect from loyalty/VIP programs? Players at the lowest levels can expect to receive, weekly or monthly cashback, free spins or free chips. The value of the rewards increase the higher you climb. At the highest level players often receive invites to exclusive tournaments and events, higher withdrawal limits, and even high-value prizes such as luxury cruises and vacations. Faster processing on withdrawals, a dedicated account manager, personal support, and exclusive bonuses based on your gameplay are among the benefits that VIP players can expect at top online casinos.
- What are bonus terms and conditions? These are specific terms and conditions that relate to the casino bonus. They can include wagering requirements, betting limits, game contribution percentages, validity period, allowed games, cashout limits, and any other bonus specific terms players need to adhere to. The terms are usually standard across online casinos, however it is important to check each site for withdrawal limits. If you don't adhere to the bonus terms you can forfeit any winnings you've accumulated.
- Where can I find out more about bonus terms? All casinos display the main bonus terms directly under the bonus offer but you can also find the full terms by clicking on the T&Cs link. It is recommended that you read these carefully and understand what is expected of you before you claim any offer.
- Why should I play online? Besides being convenient, online casinos offer the most lucrative bonuses and promotions when compared to land-based establishments. All you need is a computer, smartphone, or tablet with an internet connection to get started and you can play a huge range of popular casino games including slots, blackjack, roulette, bingo, video poker, and more. For an immersive experience you can even play live dealer games and have the opportunity to play against people from around the world. You can win real money and join generous VIP programs that continually reward your gameplay.
Deposit and Withdrawal Payment Methods
- What payment methods can I use? The payment methods available for deposits and withdrawals will vary from site to site and it is important that you visit the cashier/banking section of the casino to see what payment processors are available before you register. If there is a particular banking option you want to use, you'll be able to see if it is offered. Visa and Mastercard debit and credit cards are widely accepted at all the best Canadian online casinos in 2023. You will also find a range of e-wallets such as Skrill, Neteller, and Canadian favorite Instadebit. Those who prefer to use Interac will find this at many of the top sites. Cryptocurrencies like bitcoin have also been added as a payment option on casinos in Canada. There are no fees charged on your transactions and our team also evaluate all the casinos we feature according to the payment methods offered.
- How long do I have to wait to withdraw my winnings? All casinos have a pending period. This is the amount of time it takes for withdrawal requests to be processed. This timeframe varies but we review each site and only recommend those that have low pending periods of between 24 and 48 hours. Once the processing period has passed, the time it takes for you to receive your funds will depend on the payment method you have chosen. E-wallets are generally the fastest option and take up to 24 hours. Credit and debit cards can take between 3 and 5 days, and bank transfers can range from 2 to 6 working days. Cryptocurrency is another option often deemed to have the fastest withdrawals. You can receive your winnings within an hour of your request being approved.
- Can I keep track of all my transactions? Yes. Your casino account will have a record of all the deposits and withdrawals you've made. If you use e-wallets, you'll also see a history of all your payments. Your credit and debit card statements will show your transactions too. We do recommend you look at your transactions on a regular basis to ensure you are not overspending or developing a problem with your gambling.
- How do I know it's safe to deposit at a casino? The first thing you should check for is a valid and reliable license issued by a recognized gambling authority such as the MGA or the Curacao Games Commission. Another thing to look for is fair gaming certification from independent organizations such as eCOGRA and TST. These companies evaluate the fairness of the casino and ensures the games are fair and random. The encryption software used on the casino platform is another indication and SSL encryption guarantees that all your transactions are safe and protected.
- Do I have to complete the verification process to withdraw my winnings? Yes, you do. KYC (Know Your Customer) verification is mandatory. It is an identity verification measure that all reputable online casinos use to identify and verify their players and flag underage gambling as well as any suspicious activity. It is used as part of Anti-Money Laundering compliance and help prevent financial crime. KYC verifies that players are who they claim to be. You will be required to provide the casino with proof of your ID and address by submitting your passport or driver's license and either a utility bill or bank statement.
Safety and Responsible Gambling
- How do I know a casino is safe? There are a number of things that let you know a casino is safe to play at. The casino should hold a license which is displayed at the bottom of the home page. This tells you that the casino has to comply with strict operating standards. Security technology is also important. All the best online casino sites we feature use the latest SSL encryption technology.
- How do I recognize an illegal casino? Unfortunately, there are fraudulent and scam sites out there and they can often fool beginning bettors. Only legitimate operators have a license by a reputable regulatory authority. If you are suspicious, check the operator's homepage and look for their license. If there is no license we advise you to leave the site and find a trusted casino to play at. Our expert reviews can help with this and we only recommended legal, licensed, and trusted online casinos for Canadians.
- Is it safe to deposit money at online casinos? Yes, it is, one you ensure the casino you're playing at is licensed and uses SSL encryption technology. There are many different payments you can opt for if you feel a little insecure including pre-paid cards like Paysafecard that don't require you to enter any of your personal information. You get to remain anonymous and enjoy real money games. E-wallets and cryptocurrencies are another option for those that don't want to share their personal data with third parties. To learn more about any of these payment methods, be sure to read our reviews.
- What are wagering requirements? Wagering requirements are specific conditions that casinos add to bonus offers. They essentially tell you how many times you have to bet your bonus funds before your winnings are converted to real money that you can cashout. The wagering requirement varies depending on the type of bonus you claim. No deposit codes will have higher wagering requirements because there is no risk involved while deposit offers will have lower playthrough.
- How do I know if I have a gambling addiction? There are warning signs that you can monitor and most of the top online casinos have a responsible gambling page that lists information on how to tell if you are developing a gambling problem. These include things like hiding your habit from friends or family, spending over your budget, allowing your gaming to impede on your life, or if you only think about playing real money games. If you spot yourself doing any of these it may be that your hobby has become a habit and you should take notice and seek help from professional bodies. Many online casinos now also offer responsible gambling features you can use such as the ability to limit your deposits and even self-exclude for specific periods of time.
- How can I help someone with a gambling problem? The first thing you can do is seek advice from gambling addiction services. These professional organizations help people around the world. In Canada organizations such as the Responsible Gambling Council can help. There are gambling help helplines throughout Canada with toll free numbers for all provinces. Gambling Therapy offers free and practical advice as well as professional support to help bettors manage their addictions.
- How do I stop betting online? If you have developed a gambling problem it can be difficult to stop. To help, the best casinos online offer responsible gambling features that you can apply. These include setting deposit limits on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. You can also self-exclude which allows you to block yourself from the casino for a specific period of time. Some sites offer a reality check tool that is a pop-up window that reminds you how much time and month you have spent. Using these tools can be very helpful but if they are not enough, we recommend you seek professional advice. Visit our responsible gambling page to learn more.
Software and Technology
- Do I have to download software to play at online casinos? No. The vast majority of online casinos in Canada have a no download instant play platform and all the games load in your browser.
- Do I have to download an app to play on my mobile? No. The best casino sites have a fully mobile responsive website so you can access everything via your mobile browser. Some sites do offer dedicated apps for iOS and Android users. These work like native apps and you may find that the number of games available is reduced compared to the catalogue of games offered on the website.
- Do I need to have a top of the range mobile device to play? No. As long as your smartphone can support high quality graphics and you have a high-speed internet connection, there is no reason why you can't enjoy real money mobile games on the go. If you are unsure, it is advisable to check with the casino for compatibility. Many sites will list the software requirements for iOS and Android players on their website.
- What is a downloadable casino? Downloadable casinos are sites where you can download the software to your desktop. This will mean you can only enjoy the games on your desktop and it will take up space on your hard drive. There are some benefits to installing the casino software including exclusive bonuses and additional games, but in 2023 the majority of players prefer to use in-browser platforms.
- Can I play real money games on Mac? Yes, you can. The no download instant play option allows you to access online casinos and play real money games on any browser including Safari, Google Chrome, or any other web browser.
- Which mobile devices are the best for online casino games? The best device will depend on the games you want to play. Tablets such as the iPad or Samsung Galaxy are ideal for mobile users who want to play roulette or blackjack because they offer a larger screen. Tablets make it easier for players to see all the action on one screen. Slots fans can use their smartphone or tablet. It is worth noting that mobile casino games have been developed specifically for mobile play and the games will automatically adjust to suit the size of the screen you are playing on. Whether you choose to use your smartphone or tablet, an internet connection is essential.
- Do I need an internet connection to play? Yes. An internet connection is required in order to play real money games. You can connect via WiFi or use your mobile data. It is important to monitor your data usage so you don't end up with additional fees from your network provider. Live dealer games can use your data very quickly.
Still Have Unanswered Questions or Need to Know More?
If you have a question that hasn't been answered on this page, you can contact us for help. Our team of experts will gladly offer advice and help you answer any questions you have relating to online casinos in 2023.